20 Fun Things to do in Sheffield | Insider Tips from a Local
Sheffield, England, is a thriving cosmopolitan city born from the Industrial era. Infamously known as the ‘Steel City’ due to the historical significance of steel manufacturing, Sheffield has a great heritage it can be proud of, and the locals aren’t afraid to show it.
Located in South Yorkshire at the tip of the peak district Pennines, there are many green spaces to explore. There are also several districts, each with unique things to do. Unlike other guides to the city, Sheffield is my hometown so I have packed this blog full of insider tips from a local. Discover the best areas in the day, where to visit at night, where is popular with student and all of the fun things to do in Sheffield.
Fun Things to do in Sheffield
This post contains affiliate links. This means I may earn a small commission should you choose to make a purchase using my link, but this is at no extra cost to you. I love all of these companies and only recommend things I would use/do myself. Thanks for your support .
1) Challenge your Skills in an Escape Room
If you’re looking for fun things to do in Sheffield then try your hand at an escape room. There are several Escape rooms to try;
- The Lock up Escape Room on London Road. Choose from 2 exciting games and work together with your friends to get out.
- The Great Escape: located near the train station, choose from four different themed games.
- Cryptology; located on West Street, this escape room means you can head straight on a night out afterwards.
- Virtual Reality escape room; if you want to try something different, experience a choice of 10 VR escape rooms.
- Murder on the Don; an outdoor murder mystery style experience that has the added bonus of sightseeing and discovering the best of the Steel City.
But, be warned; these activities could test your friendships!
2) Party with Headliners at Sheffield Tramlines Festival
Sheffield Tramlines Festival is a summer weekend music festival that takes over the City during the last weekend of July. Hillsborough Park becomes home to some of the top music acts and performers. Sheffield city centre itself also becomes alive with the Tramlines fringe festival, hosting many free events and several nightclubs also hold Tramlines afterparties.
The Tramlines Festival attracts crowds from far and wide and is one of the most fun things to do in Sheffield.
3) Embrace Community Spirit at Peace in the Park Festival
Peace in the Park is a free summer festival at Ponderosa Park just outside the city centre. This free event is built on the values of community spirit and is a not-for-profit family festival you will enjoy. Expect live music, DJs, entertainment, and food stalls that run until around 8 pm.
4) Have an Action-Packed Day at Valley Centertainment
Valley Centertainment is Sheffield’s number 1 entertainment venue. Located on Broughton Lane outside the centre, Centertainment is easy to reach by car, tram or bus.
Several restaurants are catering from fast food to popular food chains such as Nandos, Chiquitos and Wagamamas. You can also enjoy a film at Cineworld Imax Cinema or a bowling game, Indoor Adventure Golf or Laser Quest.
5) See a Major Music or Sports Event at Sheffield Arena
Sheffield Fly DSA Arena is a hub for all big gigs and music events. The arena is also home to the cities Ice Hockey team, the Sheffield Steelers. If you have any events booked, the stadium is easiest to get to by super tram on the Meadowhall route.
6) Catch a Show at One of the Sheffield Theatres
You might have heard of the Sheffield Crucible from the world-famous snooker tournaments that happen here every year. However, you can also watch some of the top touring West End Shows as well as seasonal pantomimes. In the same district, is also the Lyceum Theatre that also puts on different events, including ballet and various musicals.
7) Have a Laugh at a Comedy Club
While Sheffield City Hall and even the Sheffield Arena have occasional comedy events, if you enjoy raw, uncut comedy, then support more minor acts at the local comedy clubs. So grab your tickets in advance and get ready for a fun Friday or Saturday night in the centre of town.
Notable clubs are the Last Laugh Comedy Club on Barkers Street in the Centre and ROFL on Division Street.
8) Have a Day of Adventure at Sheffield Waterski and Aqua Park
Rother Valley Country Park is located Southeast of the centre and is an excellent spot for mountain biking or enjoying an extensive circular walking trail. The centre of the park is a vast river home to the Sheffield waterski and aqua park that you can book exciting water activities on. Why not try your hand at jet skiing, pedal or rowboats and paddleboarding? Failing that, you can always feed the ducks.
Related Read: Top Adrenaline Things to do in the UK
9) Explore the Outdoors in one of the Many Parks
There are so many different places in Sheffield to walk your dog or generally enjoy the outdoors:
- Graves Park is a large park with a forest and open fields, a golf course and even an animal farm.
- Heeley City Farm is also a smaller option to see farm animals or stroll around the garden centre. Both this option and Graves Park are perfect for animal lovers.
- Endcliffe Park is a popular place in summer due to its convenient location just off the trendy Ecclesall Road.
- Weston Park is great for people who also want to enjoy the art gallery.
- Grenoside Park is great for varied terrain, rivers and exciting features.
There are too many parks to mention, and they’re scattered all over the city. However, you will have no problem finding miles of nature trails in Sheffield. You can also get to the beautiful Peak District in 20 minutes. If you like hiking or villages take a day trip to Hope, Castleton, Bakewell or Bamford Edge, just to name a few.
10) Run Through the Fountains at Sheffield Peace Gardens
In the centre of the city is Sheffield Peace Gardens. This square is a place to relax and enjoy the views of the Sheffield Town Hall. This area can be busy with people relaxing on the grass, paddling in the waterfalls, or running through the fountains in the summertime.
11) Develop your Ninja Warrior Skills
Located near Meadowhall shopping centre is the Ninja Warrior activity centre which is action packed full of fun activities for all of the family. From tackling the great wall, to bouncing, jumping, balancing and climbing on the various obstacle courses.
12) Grab a Show at Sheffield City Hall
Sheffield City Hall is a great indoor venue that provides orchestra, live music gigs, theatre productions and even comedy clubs. The architecture of the building is superb, set apart from other facilities with its four iconic pillars. The City Hall is worth a visit if you’re looking for fun things to do in Sheffield.
13) Explore the Industrial Heritage at the Kelham Island Museum
Kelham Island is one of the oldest industrial districts in Sheffield and is now a trendy neighbourhood that is particularly popular with students. There are plenty of unique and interesting places to dine, drink, or even party late into the night. If you’d like to take a culinary journey through the area, book the taste of Kelham island tour for the ultimate long lunch.
If you’re looking for an enjoyable experience for the entire family, then make sure to visit the Kelham Island Museum. Step through the different centuries to see Sheffield throughout the industrial era. You can even see some of the great stream River Don Engine steam that powered the Steel City in action (12 pm and 2 pm), and kids can also enjoy the themed play area. Best of all, this is one of the FREE things to do in Sheffield!
14) Grab an Open Air Theatre Production at Sheffield Botanical Garden
Sheffield Botanical Garden is on Thomson Road, just off Ecclesall Road and offer a wonderful free thing to do in Sheffield. The grounds are spectacular, with beautiful colours and scents throughout the gardens, and outdoor theatre shows are available in the evenings. You can also enjoy a ‘bear hunt’ and search out the painted bear sculptures.
If you’re visiting over bonfire night, then be sure to book tickets for ‘Illuminate the Gardens’ as a light show and firework spectacular!
15) Explore the Unique Greenhouse at Sheffield Winter Gardens
Contrary to its name, the Winter Gardens are open all year round and house beautiful flora and fauna in a unique urban glasshouse. Located next to the Peace Gardens and the Millennium Galleries, you can stop by the superb display as you wander the town. Best of all, the Winter Gardens are one of the free things to do in Sheffield.
If you’re looking for fun things to do in Sheffield for the family, then consider a trip to Bounce. Not only is this an excellent way to keep fit and active, but it also keeps adults and kids entertained for hours.
17) Get your game on at Lazer Quest
Do you have that competitive spirit? A session at Lazer Quest will surely bring it out in you. Choose from various games and join other teams or take enough people with you to make it a winner takes all challenge. Best of all, this fun activity is located in the city near the Sheffield Cathedral.
18) Get into the Spirit of the Season at the Christmas Markets
I’ve called it the spirit of the season rather than the Christmas spirit because the pop-up market stalls appear in Sheffield for other reasons, such as Oktoberfest. However, if you’re visiting during winter, be sure to head to Fargate in the centre to enjoy the Christmas Lights, decorations, festive market stalls and the cosy Alpine Bar.
19) Go crazy at mini-golf
There are a few adult themed crazy golf courses in Sheffield which make for a great day or night out:
- Glory Hole – located near Sheffield Cathedral, this popular spot has two different adult-themed golf courses, beer pong, and other fun games in this student-friendly bar.
- Golf Fang – located on John Street, this venue is the latest to adult mini golf to pop up in the city and they’ve put a lot of effort into the design and decor of the facility.
- Paradise Island – this golf course is located at Centretainment and is great for kids and adults (or people that would get offended by some of the decor at the other two options).
Things to do at Night in Sheffield
If you’re looking for fun things to do in Sheffield for adults then you might be looking for a night out! Here is a guide to the best areas for nightlife:
20) Sip Cocktails or Real Ales on Ecclesall Road
Ecclesall Road is just outside the city centre and is the most upmarket place to eat and drink. Find restaurants and bars that range from cool and quirky, like the tram shed, to exclusive and sophisticated like Lost & Found. Ecclesall Road has limited street parking, so catching a taxi or bus is easier.
21) Party All Night on West Street
West Street is the main strip in Sheffield for nightlife. There are several bars, clubs, restaurants, and takeaways in this area. It is easiest to get to by tram or taxi, and it is hectic over the weekend or on popular student nights.
22) Enjoy an Alternative Evening on Division Street
Division street is a road parallel to West Street that is a little less mainstream. However, this road is popular with students and people who are into alternative music. Several of the bars and clubs around this street cater to indie and rock music. There is also a big open-air skate park nearby in Devonshire Green.
Things to do in Sheffield, Insider Tips
I’ve taken you on a journey where you’ve found the top fun things to do in Sheffield. But, how much do you know about the city?
Here are my insider tips from a local
- While you can head to the main areas I’ve mentioned for bars, the nightclubs are spread out. Popular venues include the Leadmill, Tank, the O2 Academy and Plug, and you would never find them unless you know where to look! Most people grab a taxi – City Taxi is the major chain here, 0114 239 3939, but Uber is also popular.
- Sheffield has its super tram with four major routes; Meadowhall, Halfway, Herding’s Park and Middlesbrough. The tram is an easy way to get around, particularly the shopping centres, entertainment and town centre. Take a ride.
- Sheffield people are generally friendly and approachable, and if you get called ‘love’, it is usually a term of endearment.
- If you spot Henderson’s Relish, try it! It’s similar to Worcestershire sauce, but it is made in Sheffield, and it’s vegan!
- There are two leading football teams, Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United. If you’re visiting on a matchday when United is playing at home, avoid driving or buses anywhere near the city centre.
Have you tried any of these things to do in Sheffield? You might also like to discover some of the other best places to visit in England. Let me know in the comments how you find Sheffield and what you liked the most.
Like it? Pin it for Later
Did you know VeggTravel can help you plan almost any activity in the UK or beyond?
VeggTravel is an accredited independent travel agent specialising in honeymoon destinations, luxurious holidays, and adventurous experiences for various budgets. As a travel specialist, I know how to make your dreams of a perfect holiday come true. I have many options available, from tropical getaways to stunning ski resorts. I can help you find the ideal spot for your holiday, whether you’re looking for a romantic escape or an adrenaline-pumping adventure.
I do not charge a fee, and you have no obligation to go ahead with my quotes, so if you’re travelling from the UK why not contact me today? I’m ABTA, CILA and ATOL protected, so you can rest assured knowing your travel plans are in safe hands. What’s more, is that I’ll provide excellent service from booking to you returning home.