Hurghada to Cairo Day Trip – Discover Egypt’s Culture
Cairo is a historic city with a rich cultural and historical heritage. The capital of Egypt is also the site of many famous sites that visitors can explore on a day trip. Cairo is a must visit for every traveller looking to explore the world’s most populous city in one go. Here is a list of some of the top things to do in Cairo and what you can expect from a Hurghada to Cairo day trip.
Hurghada to Cairo Day Trip Content
Quick reference guide
This post contains affiliate links which means I may earn a commission if you buy anything through them. This supports the running of this site and is at no additional cost to you.
Hurghada to Cairo Day Trip Tours
There are many Cairo day tours from Hurghada and Sharm el Sheik. If you wish to take a day trip to Cairo, then the below are your choices of travel:
- Organised Cairo day tour by bus; this will take approximately 24 hours as a round trip, with roughly 8 hours travel there, 8 hours in Cairo and 8 hours travel back. This will typically cost £50 – £80
- Organised Cairo day tour by plane; this will typically cost £200+
- Your own transport; a mix of buses, taxis or local flights
This article is based on my experiences on an organised bus tour to Cairo run by Egyptra. Different providers may have different itineraries but will usually cover the main attractions.
The benefits of taking an organised tour to Cairo include:
- Local experienced guides who help bring the history to life and help you navigate the chaos of the capital safely and easily
- Armed security. Tourism is crucial for Egypt, and therefore safety is taken very seriously. The security guard ensures the bus passes all the security checkpoints on the route and that you are always kept safe.
- You can often jump the queues, and everything is taken care of for you.
Despite the advantages of group tours, there are some disadvantages.
- You may feel rushed as you only have a limited time at each attraction. The time I was given in each location was plenty, but if you’re a history buff, you may wish you had longer in the Egyptian museum.
- The tour may include stop-offs you don’t want. For example, longer than necessarily comfort breaks. Additionally, you may have to visit a perfume shop or similar which feels very sales orientated and, after a long day, usually the last thing you’ll want to do.
- Additional costs. For example, a Nile river cruise, camel ride etc., are all extra. However, at least on my tour, these were optional, and I didn’t feel any pressure to do them.
Hurghada to Cairo Day Trip Itinerary
Discover the City
When visiting Cairo, whether as a day trip or a full-blown trip, you’ll want to explore the city centre and the endlessness of the Great Lakes. Cairo is the most populous city in the country and the largest city in the world by far.
Cairo’s Old Town has cobbled streets lined with restaurants, bars and charming hotels. You can also shop around for the best traditional Egyptian souvenirs and clothing at many of the city’s boutiques.
If you’re on an organised tour, you may not have much time to do this, or a walk around Cairo may not even be included. Be sure to check this in advance if you want some free time in the centre.
Visit the Egyptian Museum
The Egyptian Museum is one of the best things to do in Cairo, and accordingly, it is very busy. It can feel chaotic getting into the museum, but you will be allocated a tour guide who speaks your local language once you’re there. If not on an organised day trip, you can hire audio guide books to learn more about the exhibits.
You will be given a guided tour of the key exhibits and some free time to uncover some of the beautiful treats from ancient Egypt. From tombs, mummies and relics to jewels and hieroglyphics, the Egyptian Museum has it all. The most impressive feature is the Tutankhamun collection which is incredibly preserved and the most expansive of all Ancient Egyptian Kings.
Lunch on the Nile
One thing you will immediately realise is that driving around Cairo is a nightmare. There is endless traffic, and the roads are chaos. On your Hurghada to Cairo day trip you will be given the option of a Nile cruise to a restaurant on the river. This will cost $10 and take around 30 minutes; otherwise, you can choose to stay on the bus.
A trip down the longest river in the world is considered one of the best things to do in Cairo, and it is an enjoyable and relaxing way to see more of Egypt.
The restaurant itself serves a buffet that had plenty of choices for vegetarians, which was included in the Cairo day trip. Soft drinks, tea, coffee and also alcohol are available to buy.
The Giza pyramid is one of the most impressive and popular tourist attractions in the world. If you are visiting on a day trip to Cairo, you will want to see the Giza National Park and the equally amazing Camel and Atlas ruins. If you are lucky enough, you may be able to see some of these on your walk into the park.
Many attractions are within the park, such as the sphinx, but the Giza Pyramids are the most famous. Visiting the Giza Pyramids is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The Great Giza is the most photographed tourist attraction in the world, and it is one of the most popular.
You can take a camel or horse & cart ride to a viewpoint where you can capture the pyramids all in one photo. If you’d rather not do this, I recommend walking the route anyway as it really is a brilliant spot for viewing the pyramids. I took a camel ride, and the handler took some great photos; however, he was extremely pushy for a bigger tip than we’d given. Be prepared to walk away if you ever feel pressured by any locals.
Hurghada to Cairo day trip in Summary
Cairo is a fascinating city with a rich cultural and historical heritage. There are many places to see and do in Cairo, including the Great Lakes, the Red Sea, the Giza Pyramids, and the Gobi Desert. While the journey from Hurghada to Cairo is long, you will be able to sleep for a lot of it. Take a pillow and some layers that you can add/remove for comfort. Now that you know what to see and when to visit, you can plan accordingly.
If you like this post, you might also like to read:
- Honest Sunrise Royal Makadi Reviews | Hurghada, Egypt
- Orange Bay Egypt, A Day Trip To Paradise
- Epic Things to Do in Marrakech
- Best Place for Safari in Africa to See the Big 5
Why go through the hassle of planning your trip when I can do it for you?
Do you like to travel but hate spending hours online trying to find the best deals? Here’s why I come in, an independent travel agent that does the hard work for you. I compare prices from all the top travel sites so you can easily find the top deals. Plus, my agent connections often mean exclusive offers on hotels and flights that you can’t find anywhere else. Ready to take your vacation to the next level? Drop me a mail and I’ll help you every step of the way.
If you’re keen to travel smarter yourself and have the opportunity to start your own business, then do it! Take the leap. Whether you want to travel more for less or make a career from travel, I can give you insights into the industry and help you get started.